910 Sixth Avenue North, Fargo, North Dakota 58107

Manchester building stands strong more than 100 years later

Manchester building stands strong more than 100 years later

June 16, 2017
|
0 Comments
|

The Manchester building, which housed the Manchester Biscuit Company, was built over several years in the early 1900s. The biscuit and cookie company was founded in Luverne, Minn. and expanded to include bakeries in Sioux Falls, S.D. and Fargo, N.D.  As the business grew, the Fargo plant expanded in the 1940s.

Original photo by TF Powers Construction Co. Artistic Interpretation by Brian C. Balstad & Balstad Law Firm.

According to our records, TF Powers Construction was a contractor for the expansion of the building on University and Second Avenue North in Fargo.

A 1940 Fargo Forum article said in 1940, the Fargo Manchester Biscuit Company plant consumed 5,600,000 pounds of four, 1,500 pounds of sugar and a million pounds of shortening that year, in addition to thousands of pounds of chocolate, honey, coconut and fruit. Some of the brand names under the Manchester Biscuit Company included Waldorf Crackers, Town House Crackers and Honey Flavored Graham Crackers.

Original photo by TF Powers Construction Co.

TF Powers Construction also worked on an elevator remodel at the Manchester building in 1952 and renovations in the 1990s, according to our records.

Though the building no longer houses a thriving manufacturing operation, it still stands strong after significant renovation over the years. It contains nearly 60,000 sq. ft. of office space.

1992 Manchester Office Building Remodel

The Manchester office building in 1992.